Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Wondrous Words Wednesday-June 26

Bermudaonion asks you to share new words that you have learned during your reading adventures in the last week. Feel free to join in the fun!

So here are a couple of words I learned while reading A Thousand Pardons by Jonathon Dee:

Acumen:  The ability to make good judgements and quick decisions.

Here is how acumen was used at Kindle location 1599 of 3878:
It was part of her lack of business acumen that she wouldn't have considered it worth a cent to anybody but her.

Dogmatist:  a person who asserts his or her opinions in an unduly positive or arrogant manner.

Here is how dogmatist was used at Kindle location 2029 of 3878:
Poor Ashok, on a cold streak as it was, had been battling all week with a roomful of unsmiling dogmatists who handled in-house PR for Pepsi.

Excoriate: to denounce or berate severely; flay verbally.

Here is how excoriate was used at Kindle locatio 2127 of 3878:
But Helen was the parent who stayed, the one who was always right there, so naturally she was the one who got excoriated.

***Please note that this is from an Advanced Reading Copy so the final printing may change.

I have to tell you this is a great book so far!

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I did know acumen, even though I don't often possess it. I think I could use excoriate but I'll have to practice pronouncing it first.