Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Wondrous Words Wednesday-Aug. 31

Bermudaonion asks you to share new words that you have learned during your reading adventures in the last week. Feel free to join in the fun!

This week my words are from The Good Daughters by Joyce Maynard:

Dervish:  a member of any of various Muslim orders of ascetics, some of which ( whirling dervishes ) are noted for a frenzied, ecstatic, whirling dance.

Here is how dervish was used on page 139:
If he was happy, he might break into wild, crazy dervish dancing.

Metronome:  a mechanical or electrical instrument that makes repeated clicking sounds at an adjustable pace, used for marking rhythm, especially in practicing music.

Here is how metronome was used on page 164:
He was as steady as a metronome

So those were the new words that crossed my path.  Did anything new turn up in your reading adventures?


6 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I knew metronome because my cousin used to have one on her piano. I've heard the term whirling dervish before but never really knew what a dervish was, so I find that one interesting.

Anonymous said...

New words for me, thanks! for sharing.

Margot said...

I hadn't thought about a metronome in a long time. One was used when my daughters were quite young and took tap dance lessons.

Joy Weese Moll said...

I knew the word dervish but didn't know that it had an association with Muslims. Great to know! Thanks!

Bev Hankins said...

I knew both of these, but it's good to be reminded of the complete definition of dervish. thanks for sharing!

Here's mine: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/08/wondrous-words-wednesday.html

Alyce said...

I'm so bad about taking note of words that I don't know in the text. :) I've always loved the word "dervish" it just sounds fun.